GivingTuesday was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good. Over the past nine years, this idea has grown into a global movement that inspires millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity. This GivingTuesday, help create transformative reading experiences for 4,000 young children by inviting your friends and family to participate in a Facebook Fundraiser!
Here’s how to create and manage a Facebook Fundraiser:
- Step 1: Go to the Facebook Fundraiser page https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers
- Step 2: Click on button “select nonprofit”
- Step 3: Search for Barbershop Books
- Step 4: Click on Barbershop Books and a proposed page for Giving Tuesday will pop up. This can be edited to create a monetary goal (see suggestions below) and you can personalize the language (Facebook will offer proposed language)
- Create a monetary goal: $900 will maintain three barbershops for a full year, $600 will maintain two barbershops for a full year
- Suggested language: I am excited to announce that on November 30th, Barbershop Books will be participating in Giving Tuesday. Want to join me in supporting a good cause? You can help Black boys identify as readers by connecting fun books to a male-centered space and by involving men in boys’ early reading experiences. Facebook pays all the processing fees for you, so 100% of your donation goes directly to the nonprofit.
- Personalize your title for the fundraiser (you can use our “Help the Babies Read!” or any other catchy line) or just use the Facebook suggestion
- Begin with your own donation
- Invite Facebook friends
- Ask for a donation through FB messenger
- Thank your donors when they donate
- Update and engage donors- the closer a fundraiser is to meeting its goal, the more likely people are to donate
- No need to wait until November 30th. You can begin the campaign prior, and adjust the length of the default campaign which is 15 days