February 1st is World Read Aloud Day! This annual event was created by the non-profit LitWorld and is sponsored by Scholastic. Join us in celebrating this global read aloud event by sharing these tips for reading aloud to your children.
- Create a space just for reading. This can be a bookshelf with a comfy cushion in front of it or even a special “reading chair” where you sit with your child every time you read together.
- Start a reading routine. Whether it’s after the kids wake up or before bed, having a designated time for reading makes it a fun part of everyday life.
- Ask questions. Keep your child engaged by asking what they think will happen next or why they think a character acted a certain way.
- Find a genre your child enjoys. You can use our E-Library to explore different types of stories. We believe that all children can enjoy reading if they find a genre that interests them. Our e-library is host to over 20 titles written by diverse authors and is the perfect starting point for any young reader.
- Be silly. Get creative with your voices to keep your young reader engaged. Have fun !
Want more examples of how to read to your children? Click here to watch our Chief Reading Inspirer Alvin Irby’s storytime series.